The mission of Tennessee 4-H
is to provide research-based Extension educational experiences that
will stimulate young people to gain knowledge, develop life skills, and
form positive attitudes to prepare them to become capable, responsible
and compassionate adults.
is the youth development program of UT Extension. Preparing young
people to become responsible, capable and involved leaders and citizens
of Tennessee and the nation is the goal of the 4-H
program. The goal is accomplished by providing educational experiences
for young people to gain knowledge, develop life skills, live healthy
lives, make intelligent career choices and form positive
attitudes—values young people will rely on throughout their lives.
Tennessee 4-H, a component of the Cooperative Extension system, is a leader in youth development education that accomplishes the following:
• Works with all eligible youth to provide effective, enjoyable learning experiences.
• Develops unity in all types of family structures.
• Utilizes a quality-applied curriculum in classroom and community-based settings.
• Reflects and values cultural and human diversity.
• Employs competent, educated, self-motivated staff who are valued assets of the Land Grant
University system, and are recognized as youth development experts.
• Utilizes creative staffing patterns and contemporary working environments.
• Delivers programs through cooperative efforts of the University of Tennessee, Tennessee
State University, and public and private sector volunteers.