The 4-H Dairy Program is part of the 4-H Animal Science Program. The 4-H Animal Science Program offers Tennessee youth valuable educational opportunities through raising, exhibiting, and judging livestock and horses. 4-H Animal Science participants are challenged with real-life issues as they learn responsibility through raising, showing, and judging horses and livestock. Species included in the 4-H Livestock and Horse programs include beef, dairy, goat, horse, poultry, sheep, and swine.
Create a project plan and record your project successes.
County Dairy Promotion Contest
Sponsored by the Southeast United Dairy Industry Association (SUDIA), the County Dairy Promotion Contest provides opportunities for 4-H members to build skills in project areas such as communications, leadership/citizenship, consumer science, health/fitness, dairy foods, and food/nutrition.
Dairy Poster Contest
4-H’ers get to show off their artistic talents in this annual contest sponsored by the Southeast United Dairy Industry Association (SUDIA).
- Poster size: 14″ x 22″
- Grades: 4th – 12th
- Theme of the poster: “Dairy Potter”
- Deadline: Posters must be postmarked by April 23, 2021 and sent in a flat container to:
- Denise Jones
P.O. Box 77
Loretto, KY 40037
- Denise Jones
- There will be one “Best Use of Theme” winner per county. The county 4-H agent will be responsible for determining the county winner and submitting the poster for state judging. Past first-place state winners are ineligible to win state prizes again.
On the back of the poster, include the following information:
- Number of posters entered in your local contest
- Child’s T-shirt size (if known)
- Name, address, and telephone number of winner
- Agent’s name, county, and telephone number
- Judges will be selected by ADA of Tennessee. Posters will be returned to the state 4-H office. “Best Use of Theme” winning posters will be displayed at various places throughout the fall and will be returned to the state 4-H office at the end of the year.
- State winners will be announced after judging is completed.
County winner: T-shirt
- First place – $550
- Second place – $300
- Third place – $200
Dairy Quiz Bowl
An exciting, competitive activity designed to test 4-H’ers’ knowledge of dairy cattle and the dairy industry. The Dairy Quiz Bowl event is held in conjunction with the June Dairy Month Kick-Off luncheon.
Service Project Ideas
- Conduct a demonstration about the care of a dairy animal for younger children.
- Encourage people to consume dairy products for better health.
- Sponsor a dairy farm tour or trip to a dairy plant.