Learn about forests and how they contribute to people and wildlife.
Create a project plan and record your project successes.
This lesson serves as an introduction for several concepts associated with urban forestry. It introduces the concept of a community forest, which is implemented by students who apply knowledge gained through the learning experience in a practical way.
Project Events and Activities (Regional, State, and National)
Follow the links below to find some great online resources for you project. Surf around and see what you can learn!
- Environmental Kids Club (EPA)
- EEK! (Environmental Education for Kids, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources)
- National Arbor Day Foundation
- National Association of Conservation Districts
- Energy Kids Page
Service Project Ideas
- Teach younger children how to make pine cone bird feeders.
- Make and display posters about environmental science and conservation.
- Set up a recycling box for aluminum cans.
- Raise a goldfish with students in a daycare — teach them how to care for their fish.
- Teach a hunter safety course.
- Have a fishing contest to raise money for a local charity.
- Organize a river cleanup day.
- Help senior citizens make Christmas ornaments from used items (such as bottles or lightbulbs).
- Help neighbors create a compost pile.
- Sponsor a program to take kids on “a day in the woods.”