In the 4-H Plant Science project you will learn how food and fiber are produced. Explore soils, plants, crop production, and more.
Create a project plan and record your project successes.
- University of Tennessee Department of Plant Sciences
- University of Tennessee Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology
- University of Tennessee Department of Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science
- Tennessee Extension Master Gardener Program
- Junior Master Gardener Program
- University of Tennessee School of Landscape Architecture
- Tennessee 4-H’s Backyard STEM Program
- Stewardship of our natural resources is founded in actions that are learned early in life. There is a great need to expose our youth to the science of the environment using applications that excite and intrigue. Backyard STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) is an environmental science program that focuses on getting students outside or bringing the outside into the classroom for experiential learning about our environment.
Service Project Ideas
- Grow a garden and donate produce to a food bank.
- Compost to improve soil condition.
- Get involved in a garden or tree-planting project at school or in the community.
- Conduct an educational “show-and-tell” about plant science for younger 4-H’ers.
- Help conduct research on crops.
- Assist senior citizens who want to take a soil sample for testing.
- Hold a farm day for preschoolers.