The 4-H Animal Science Program offers Tennessee youth valuable educational opportunities through raising, exhibiting, and judging livestock and horses. 4-H Animal Science participants are challenged with real-life issues as they learn responsibility through raising, showing, and judging horses and livestock. Species included in the 4-H Livestock and Horse programs include Beef, Dairy, Goat, Horse, Poultry, Sheep, and Swine.
Create a project plan and record your project successes.
Follow the links below to find some great online resources for your project. Surf around and see what you can learn!
Ricky Skillington, Central Region Goat Specialist, developed the following fact sheets to assist you in developing and sustaining your goat project.
- Fitting Market Goats for Shows in Tennessee
- Judging Breeding Goats in Tennessee
- Judging Market Goats in Tennessee
- Keeping Your Goat At High Noon
- Magic Powder and Foo Foo Dust
- Nutrition 101
- Practice, Practice, Practice
- Selecting Your Market Goat
- Showmanship for Market Goats in Tennessee
- Structural Correctness
- The First Step Towards the Ring
- These Are Meat Animals
- Where Do I Start?
- Your Project Animal Home
Service Project Ideas
- Conduct an educational “show and tell” about goats for younger children.
- Assist first-time goat project members with selecting their project animals.
- Take your goat to a local nursing home for a “petting zoo.”