In the 4-H creative arts & design project you will learn to express your creativity through art, crafts and interior design. If you have already signed up for this 4-H project, come on in and get started. If you haven’t signed up yet, contact your county 4-H office and become a member today. So, get ready to have fun and learn a lot as you participate in your project. Practice your art, crafts and interior design skills — and learn new tools, techniques and craft — as you express your creativity in the line and design project.
Create a project plan and record your project successes.
- Beginner Level Project Area Guide
- Intermediate Level Project Area Guide – Exploring the Art of Floral Design
- Intermediate Project Area Guide – Understanding and Applying the Elements of Art and Principles of Design to Craft Creations
- Intermediate Project Area Guide – Analyzing and Preparing Your Crafts to Show
- Intermediate Hands-On Crafts Project Guide
Follow the links below to find some great online resources for your project and see what you can learn!
- Color Wheel – Learn about the color wheel
- Activities for doing something at home (look under Creative Arts) – Includes “video how-to’s”, explore under “Resources” and “Classroom on the Couch”
- How To Knit – Provides directions and images and steps in beginning knitting
- String Art – Provides a variety of projects for creating string art, including supplies needed and instructions
- Arts and Crafts Activities – Provides a variety of activities and art projects you can do at home
- More Art and Crafts Activities – includes many ideas and how-to arts and crafts activities
- Learning About Interior Design – explores functional design, principles of color, and ideas for projects
- Fun Fashion activities: Jewelry Making, Knitting, Creative Crafts and More!
- Tips for Arranging Furniture
- Ideas for Setting Up a Great Study Area
- Advanced Visual Arts Level 1: Sketchbook Crossroads – Shop 4-H – Sketchbook Crossroads features three units to explore – Drawing, Fiber Arts, and Sculpture – and contains 23 step-by-step activities in total, including Perspective Drawing, Inkle Loom Weaving, and Sculpting with Cardboard. ($)
- Advanced Visual Arts Level 2: Portfolio Pathways – Shop 4-H – Portfolio Pathways features three units for you to explore – Painting, Printing, and Graphic Design – and contains 25 step-by-step activities in total, including Painting a Self-Portrait, Plexiglas Etching, and Typography. ($)
University programs where you can study Fine Art, Crafts, or Interior Design:
- Make a craft for a gift
- Decorate for a family or 4-H event
- Make a poster or exhibit to share ideas with others
- Make a no-sew blanket for a foster child or children’s hospital
- Build wooden flower beds at a community center, school, nursing home, etc.
- Create handmade note cards, write a note, and send to military service members, put in Christmas shoe box initiative, give to relatives, senior citizen, etc.
- Weave paper placemats, laminate and give to meals on wheels recipients, relatives or senior citizens
- Decorate a plain tote bag using block printing techniques or stenciling with nature. Fill with toiletries or nonperishable items to distribute to homeless shelters, senior care facilities, or an elderly neighbor. This is a great group project.
- Knit scarves or hats for families in shelters
- Write letters to seniors in care facilities
- Build birdhouses for your neighbors
- Beautify a community area by picking up trash, planting flowers, etc.
- Volunteer time at local nonprofit community charity organization, sorting through items, creating displays of items that will be sold or given away, etc.
Find more ideas for sewing craft items to give as part of your community service project at 4-H Clothing and Textiles Project Community Service Project Ideas