Carmen G. Burgos, Extension Specialist
Parents and youth are looking for all possible ways to make college affordable. Tennessee 4-H offers 24 college scholarships for active 4-H members. High school seniors who are planning to attend college should review the list of scholarships offered and determine if they qualify to apply.
An online 4-H College Scholarship Program is used to submit scholarship applications. The program is very easy to use. Each section has brief instructions to follow. A summary chart of college scholarships is available on our web site. Note that not all of the scholarships require youth to major in agriculture or attend UTK. Some scholar- ships are also available to youth who have already completed one year of college so read the guide- lines carefully! There is additional information on each scholarship in the Awards and Recognition Handbook, Section VI. The handbook is located on our web site (click on the Green AWARDS circle and select Recognition.) In addition to the summary chart, there are other resources available on the web page to facilitate the process of completing the application. Make sure you read those resources before you start working on the application. Among the resources is a User Guide for the application process.
The online process requires an electronic approval from the county agent before the applicant sub- mits the application to the state 4-H office. This feature is to allow the agent to review and give feed- back on the content of the application. The applicant can then review and update the information on the application before submitting the document to the state 4-H office. Applications are due on the date announced by the county Extension agent to facilitate the agent review and recommendations.
New this year!—– All scholarship applications are due on March 1.
After March 1, the program locks and applications will not be accepted.
2019 4-H College Scholarships:
- African-American Scholarship – $300
- Alpha Gamma Rho Agricultural Scholarship (AGR) – $500
- Alan Peace Memorial Scholarship – $1,000
- Arthur Wells Memorial Scholarship – $500
- Charline H. Powell Scholarship – $1000
- Earl Knepp Agricultural Scholarship – $500
- FarmHouse Agricultural Scholarship – $500
- Gilbert N. Rhodes Agricultural Scholarship – $1,000
- G.L. Herrington Agricultural Scholarship – $1000
- Harold Robbins Agricultural Scholarship – $500
- Hamilton-Brown Scholarship – $500
- James Robinson Scholarship – $1,000
- Lovelace-McKinney Scholarship (renewable for 4 years) – $1500/semester
- Mary Basinger Elliott Memorial Scholarship – $1500
- Mary Stanfill Family & Consumer Sciences Scholarship – $200
- Mary Stanfill Memorial Scholarship – $1000
- Richard Shadden Memorial Scholarship – $250
- Stephen McNeil Memorial Scholarship – $500
- TEAFCS Scholarship – $500
- TFGA Mary B. Cooper Scholarship – $500
- Tennessee Farm Bureau Health Plans Nursing Scholarship – $1250
- Troy & Susie Johnson Memorial Scholarship – $500
- UTK Collegiate 4-H Scholarship – $250.00
- W.B. & Imogene Kyker Agricultural Scholarship – $250