Dr. Sue Byrd, Adjunct Instructor
So, what are these projects all about?
Clothing and Textiles
We all wear clothes that are made from textiles. When you think of the Clothing & Textiles Project you might only think of sewing, but it is so much more.
Here are the categories that include a variety of activities:
- Selecting What’s Right for Me (Wardrobe Planning)
- Caring for My Clothes (Care and Maintenance)
- Creating Clothing and Accessories (Sewing)
- Understanding Textiles (Fabric)
- Global/Ethnic Dress
- Economics (Buying clothing/fashion)
Check out the Project Area Guide for Level I on the 4-H Clothing and Textiles Project web page which contains 24 activities in all the above areas and the STEM Activities in Clothing and Textiles (Including how fabric is made, how clothes keep you warm and protects workers, getting out stains, and more).
Refer to the Word Art Image for examples of the variety of activities involved in this project. We urge you to use this image to promote the Clothing & Textiles Project with your 4-H’ers.
NOTE: On the Clothing and Textiles Project site are also “Activity Sheets” that have been added specifically in the last few months that 4-Hers can do at home and would be great for summer activities as 4- Hers may not be going to camp or involved in other activities.
Creative Arts and Design (a new name, for the former Line and Design Project) includes a variety of activities for all 4-Hers.
This project is divided into three main categories:
- Visual Arts (includes exploring techniques in drawing, illustrating, painting and sketching; examining art pieces and famous paintings and artists; creating a sketchbook)
- Crafts (includes learning about different types of crafts from fiber arts, pottery, woodworking, jewelry making, floral design, mixed media crafts and more, the tools and skills needed, plus hands-on activities)
- Interior Design (includes exploring the basics of interior design, space planning, perspective drawing, creating montages, sample boards and scrapbooks of interior decorating ideas)
All start with basic activities that help 4-Hers learn about the Principles and Elements of Design and include information about career possibilities. Refer to the Word Art Image for examples of the variety of activities involved in this project. We urge you to use this image to promote the Creative Arts and Design Project with your 4-Hers. Note: Level 1 activities will be posted on the project web site by Fall with others to come thereafter.