Joseph L. Donaldson, PhD, Assistant Professor
Understanding Extension and land-grant history has been identified as an important topic in various studies of Extension professional competencies, including the 4-H Professional Research, Knowledge, and Competencies Study (Stone & Rennekamp, 2004). A new resource is Defining Moments: Review of History of Extension and the Land-Grant University System Facilitation Guide.
Previous Question and Answer:
On an annual basis, the Smith-Lever Act provides more funds to states with a higher percentage of ______________________________?
- Rural population and farm population (correct)
- Rural poverty and food processors
- Urban population and food production
- Urban poverty and farm bankruptcies
By law, Smith-Lever funds are allocated:
- 4 percent for USDA administration
- 20 percent shared by all states in equal proportion
- 40 percent shared in proportion to the state’s rural population to total rural population
- 40 percent shared in proportion to the state’s farm population to the total farm population
The population counts must come from the United States Census.
This Week’s Question:
For the next few weeks, we will share a question in IDEA S. Test your knowledge and look for the answer in future issues of IDEAS.
Gertrude Warren is known as the “mother of 4-H.” Which of the following occurred under her leadership as USDA national program leader?
- 4-H membership increased by 1.6 million.
- 4-H membership increased by 500,000.
- 4-H STEM programs were first established.
- 4-H food preservation clubs were first established.
Stone, B., & Rennekamp, R. (2004). New Foundations for the 4-H Youth Development Profession: 4-H Professional Research, Knowledge, and Competencies Study, 2004. Conducted in cooperation with the National 4-H Professional Development Task Force. National 4-H Headquarters, CSREES, USDA